Monday, April 23, 2012

Islam and Contemporary Muslims: Salam Alaikum,

Peace and Greetings to you all.
With the help of friends and encouragements from readers, I have decided to blog on everything and everyone that matters. However, I would be blogging extensively on Islam and Muslim related issues, openly, candidly and honestly. It will be subjective. But my subjectivity will not be based on my anarchic scattered thoughts. Rather, I would attempt to write whatever I write under the guidance of divine principles of justice, fairness, objectivity and honesty. My motto will be "Speak the truth even if it is against your own self."
I am the director of an Islamic Center. I lead prayers there and I give lectures on Islamic issues. I have written books on prayers of the Prophet and morals and manners. I write in newspapers specially in the Muslim Observer as its editor in chief. I teach courses on Islam and I speak in interfaith forums. I have always tried to ensure that my personal views are not seen representing the institutions I am associated with. An institution is much bigger than an individual and the integrity of institutions must be secured. Blogging will give me freedom to say whatever I want to say without dragging, institutions that I belong to in my thought process. It will give me an opportunity to expose my real self without jeopardizing my institutions. I promise I will be bold, untamed, and fearless. If I am wrong in my analysis and facts, I will admit and correct myself instantly.
Some people will always ask who are you to give your opinions on these matters when there are hundreds of great scholars more educated and seasoned than you to comment on these issues. They will say you have no credibility to say what you are saying and you are not representing me. My response is simple. I am not seeking credibility. Nor I am speaking on behalf of anyone. I am responsible for my words and actions as the Quran, the divine book of guidance, tells me that no one would carry the burden of the other. I want to live my responsibility to my creator, myself and all others who are making a very serious and sincere attempt to understand the divine message and the world around them. I seek God's guidance in expressing my ideas.
I am grateful to Aiman Parvaiz, a very simple, talented, energetic, dedicated and honest young man whom I admire for his candidness, for creating the blog and encouraging me to share my ideas after several rounds of several discussions on almost every issue.
Looking forward to a serious dialogue and discussion.
A.A

1 comment:

  1. Salaam Aslam Uncle
    It is great to see that you now have a platform to reach more people and share your thoughts with them. I will try my best to closely follow your blog, looking forward to interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete