Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why I must not Question the beheading of Seven men in Saudi Arabia?


On March 13, in Pakistan, the country created in the name of Islam, some unidentified people killed a female social worker in open daylight and in Saudi Arabia, the country that claims to follow the Sharia beheaded seven people found guilty of stealing and armed robbery. The killers in Pakistan did not give any reason for their killing. However, the Saudi Press Agency speaking on behalf of the Ministry of Justice issued a statement that begins with the Quranic verse from Sura Al-Maida: "The punishment of those who wage war against God and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter." (5:33)
So, it is obvious that the execution of seven men is based on the Quran and Sunna of the Prophet.
As a conscious human being, I feel saddened by these events taking place in the name of Islam not only in lands with a Muslim majority but also elsewhere.
But why should I question this sentence when it is arguably sanctioned by the Creator and the one who gave His message to humanity?
Why should I look for an alternative meaning of this verse that might lead me to argue that when the Quran talks of cutting off hands or feet, it might be alluding allegorically to physically restrain the criminals?  
Why should I question the judges for not opting for exile in this case?
Why should I argue that the purpose of the state is to create conditions where theft and robbery may become redundant?
Why should I argue that the biggest robbers are those rulers who have taken away the right of people to have a say in matters affecting their lives?
Why should I argue that those who are living in royal palaces are in fact stealing the money from people?
Why should I bother about the Muslim claim that the Prophet is a Prophet of mercy and Allah is a God of compassion?
Why should I even question this sentence when none of those who claim to speak on behalf of Islam are questioning it?
Why should I raise my voice, when the scholars of Islam are silently approving this sentence?
Why should I bother to remind myself that Islam talks of reform, rehabilitation, and repentance?
Why should I even ask if the due process in establishing the guilt of those accused was followed?
Why should I even say that one of the accused was about 14 years of age when he was accused of theft in 2005?
Why should I say that beheading is cruel and God does not like cruelty?
Why should I say that a Saudi preacher found guilty of the murder of his daughter was freed after paying the ransom and the seven thieves were beheaded for stealing jewelry etc.? 
I will do none of the above.
Rather, I would be quiet, not talking anything about this inhumane treatment to the prisoners or anyone else.
I would be quiet because I want to be known as a true believer who sanctions every act done in the name of Islam by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
I would be quiet, hoping I may be invited by Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj or Umra at its expenses.
I would be quiet to ensure that those who support this implementation of Sharia do not condemn me as a non-believer.
I would be quiet to ensure that no harm is done to my family and children by the gatekeepers of Islam.
I would be quiet to ensure that I am recognized as a legitimate Muslim and no one declares me a kafir (rejecter) or murtad (apostate) eligible for yet another beheading.
I would be quiet because everyone else is quiet.
But wait a minute!
Would my silence be accepted by God?
I am not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment